Nap Time

Well after a night like last night we decided that we needed to get the kids back on a schedule.  Friday night threw the kids off schedule. I didn't get into Guangzhou until 9:40 so after getting back from the airport it took us several hours to calm down.  We spent some time getting to know each other and Hyrum had taken a 3 hour nap late in the day.  Now, Doug being a great dad thought that would be good for Hyrum since he would be up a little later than normal.  The one thing he didn't know is that if a child sleeps for 3 hours and doesn't wake up until 5:00pm they are not going to sleep until late into the night.  At 1:00am Hyrum finally conked out.  It took putting him on the floor with a pillow and blanket to calm down.  I think mom being in his bed was hard on him.  I had rudely come in and invaded his space and he couldn't relax with me there. Bria on the other hand fell asleep in about one minute and was out for the night.

Last night we kept the kids up so we could Skype with home.  They had not seen Bria yet so we hoped she could make it until 9:30.  By 10:00 she was done and wanted to go to bed.  She went right out.  Hyrum took a little longer to go to sleep but woke up in the middle of the night crying.  Of course mom is here so dad slept right through it and Hyrum and I had some good bonding time.  After a while I took him back to bed and he wanted to lay on top of me.  That was a great sign only he couldn't get comfortable so I had to lay him next to me.  He didnt' sleep too well after that but when I got out of bed to shower he fell into a deep sleep.  I don't know what that is about but Malia would do the same thing for me all the time.  Mom didn't get any sleep but as soon as I had to get up Malia would sleep very sound for a couple hours.  I really hope I don't have another child like that on my hands.

We needed to get the kids (Doug) down for a nap.  We laid them on the bed with Doug on the edge, Hyrum closer to the middle and Bria next to him.  I was going to lay on the other outside edge.  As I started to climb on the bed Hyrum reached for me to lay by him.  I laid down next to him and Bria scooted over to the edge of the bed as far as she could go so she could get as far away from me as possible.  She eventually ended up with her head hanging over the edge of the bed so I had to hold onto her dress to keep her from falling off.  When she went to sleep I moved her back on the bed.  Bria is doing so much better in opening up to us but there is still a very long way to go.  On the other hand I have a little boy that has only known me for less than 48 hours that wants me to sleep with him.  It is so amazing to me how different the  adoption experience is based on the personality of the child.

Both of these kids are so cute.  It is good to have Doug here reminding me of how adorable Bria is.  I realize how wounded I had been last week with all the emotional stress I was under.  I never have blamed Bria and understood why she was behaving the way she did but it still hurt.  She will still let that ornery side come through at times and it is all directed at me but most of the time she wants me and is pleasant and happy, or at least as happy as she can be under the circumstances. Hyrum constantly makes me giggle.  I really think he is one of the cutest little boys around.  Of course my other boys aren't around so I can say that.

We took the kids to walk around this really awesome hotel. However, if you stay here and have back problems, Doreen, do a lot of praying and bring an air mattress. I don't think there is a hotel in China with a soft bed.  At least the Garden Hotel bed is a  big step up from the Dolton.  I might as well have slept on the floor and that is no exaggeration. Now back to what I was saying.  On our walk we stopped at a little play set and let the kids slide.  Bria has done this before and was excited to play but Hyrum had no idea what was going on.  They climbed up the stairs and would go down the slide and run around over and over again.  They laughed and giggled and squealed.  They were really having fun.  Hyrum couldn't seem to slide on the twisty slid so I had to push him a little  and Doug would have to push him again half way down.  The last time he went down I must have pushed too hard and he fell into the side of the slide and got a very large goose egg on his forehead.  What a way to interrupt bonding.  Your very new mother who is supposed to love, nurture and take care of you pushes you down the slide and you get hurt.  I held him tight, one positive out of a bad situation, and was able to comfort him.  We got back to the room and had to order up some ice to put on his head. The poor kid was having so much fun and I had to go and ruin it.

Now, as soon as the children (Doug) wake up from their 2 hour nap I will have him post some pictures of Hyrum's nasty goose egg. :(

Doug is now up and he asked if we should wake the kids up.  He wanted to cover them and remembered our last experience with a long nap. :))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Concert

The Power of Love

Our Adoption Journey In a Very Small Nut Shell