The Gift of Life

We have had an eventful week. Some great things and some challenging but all were good for one reason or another. We reflect on how fragile life is and what a gift we have in it.
A few months ago Scott got an MRI to get a better handle on his Cerebral Palsy.  A week or so later we got a call from the doctor informing us that Scott had been misdiagnosed and did not have CP. We were shocked. The doctor had two guesses, Muscular Dystrophy or Dystonia. Neither one was a good thing but if there was a choice Dystonia was better. Our new neurologist is pretty convinced we are dealing with dystonia. Last Tuesday Scott went in for a lumbar puncture to test the Serotonin level in his brain. From my very limited understanding dystonia is caused from low serotonin in the brain. It is a degenerative disease so over time it gets worse. There are several types of dystonia and the purpose of the lumbar puncture was to help discover the type and decide on a course of action.
To make a long story short. Scott got the lumbar puncture. We have been told by numerous nurses and doctors that the spinal headache that can occur after the lumbar puncture is very rare. As our life has gone recently, Scott was the exception to the rule. He struggled with a bad headache for 4 days. Let me tell you, looking for info on the Internet is not comforting. I talked with several nurses and put in calls to the doctors but ended up in the emergency room Saturday afternoon. I was told there was a procedure that could be done if the doctors couldn't get on top of the headache that would mean they go back into the spine. I was not too pleased with this option so my prayers became more intense. Scott was given a cocktail of medicine with IV fluids and in an hour the pain was gone. They say that 70 percent of headaches react positively to the meds. The angels were on our side this time. Scott didn't need the surgery and we were able to go home.
We did receive a great blessing through it all. Scott was put under anesthesia for the procedure. As he was waking up the nurse brought me back to be with him. I sat down, put my hand on Scott's arm and he grabbed my arm and held on as tight as he could. My son needed me and wasn't afraid to show it. I love those moments when you see their soul and realize that it's all worth it.
The same day that I took Scott to the emergency room we received a great blessing. At 6:45am we were woken up by the phone. Ressa was on the other end and sounded a bit distressed. I was a little bleary eyed so I don't remember exactly how it went but she informed me her back hurt consistently and then it would get worse for a little bit and settle back in. Now, one thing you need to know, Ressa was 40 weeks pregnant with her first baby. She had low back pain for a couple of months so this was not totally out of the blue. About a minute after she started talking she gasped and said "My water just broke". Well that answered that question. She was most definitely in labor.
I rushed down to the hospital and got there just about an hour after she called. What do I find in front of the entrance to the Women's Center? A running car. Yep, it was Jason and Ressa's. I was a bit confused as to why it took them so long to get to the hospital just 10 minutes from their house but I jumped in and moved their car to the parking lot and brought the keys in. I handed Jason the keys and told him what I had found. He looked at me a little confused as I explained what I had done. Come to find out, they had been there for 30-40 minutes! Jason, in all his excitement, helped Ressa into the hospital and promptly forgot his car was running outside. The classic expectant father story. Too cute.
4 hours after the labor pains started little Charlie Gideon was born. A healthy baby boy weighing 8 pounds 14 ounces and 22 inches long. He is a beautiful baby and Ressa did fantastic. She was in great control and kept her wits about her. I am so proud of her. My little one that screamed for 45 minutes after she was born because of fear and struggled with new things and change all her growing up life. She did it!! I can't leave out Jason. He is the most proud papa I have ever seen. So gentle, loving and protective, but not overbearing. We have gotten several pictures of our Charlie through text and we love it. Keep them coming Jason. Hint: We would love texts of the other grand kids too. :)

                                                                                       Charles Gideon





Ressa doesn't look like she had just gone through labor but I was there, trust me, she did!




The proud daddy!




P.S. Excuse any spelling errors. Spell check is not working and I am not a gifted speller. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Concert

The Power of Love

Olivia is a Citizen of the United States!