A family who is in a play together, stays together.

Our family is going to be in the LDS Church's production of "Savior of the World" this year - from Dad all the way down to Bria.  This even includes Tyler and Jessica. (Our oldest son and daughter-in-law)

This is a musical production the Church puts on every year between Thanksgiving and New Year's.  Yes, this is a musical production and yes, I am in it.  This is Doug, by the way...  Don't worry, there are plenty of strong voices and I can blend in...

Deanne, Tyler, Sereen, Ressa, Pierce and Hannah have all been in it before and loved it, so this time we tried out as a family hoping to just be members of the ensemble, filling up space on the stage.  We'd be good at that. :)  I agreed to try out.  (This is Deanne. I was just reading this for the first time and had to put my two cents in. Doug is the one who suggested we all tryout as a family. I think he likes to forget that part. The man that will not sing in the ward choir and has NEVER wanted to be on stage asked if we could try out as a family.) Besides, we probably wouldn't make it anyway so there was nothing to be too worried about.  The last time I remember being on stage was in a 3rd grade Sesame Street skit singing the rubber ducky song in my baseball uniform because my game went too long to change into my costume...

I figured they would recognize Deanne's wonderful voice and want her.  And most likely Pierce for a speaking part and possibly a couple more of the kids for the ensemble.  Well, to the surprise of all of us, they wanted our ENTIRE FAMILY and many of us were selected for speaking parts.  (The original member of the family that has always loved musicals and dreamed of being a professional singer on stage did not get a part but many of the kids that didn't want a part, including Doug, have speaking parts. Funny.)Tyler and Pierce are Shepherds, Creed is Nephi and a soldier (the coolest part in the play, as defined by Creed) Casey and Clayson each play boys with fairly significant speaking parts.  Deanne is playing Mary's aunt, although she has no speaking parts, she is in many (One) scenes and on stage with a small group with Mary and Joseph at one point.  Hyrum even has a part that is considered more than just the ensemble (and he LOVES it).I am the prophet Malachi reciting a scripture and also a disciple who is in the upper room when Christ appears to the apostles.  I am 3 weeks into growing my beard - another new experience for me.  Here are photos of some of the boys being fitted for the costumes...









We were a little overwhelmed and humbled when they told us we were all in it.  This goes way beyond the rubber ducky song. This is a fantastic play telling the story of Christ's birth and resurrection.  It offers a very rewarding, spiritual experience year after year.  We hope we can each add to the spirit of the play. 

Our cast will be in the Wednesday, Friday evenings and Saturday matinee shows each week starting 11/21 through 1/3.  All performances are in the small theatre of the LDS Conference Center in Salt Lake City, UT. Ticket information will be posted on the lds.org website soon. But if you want more information, just let us know.


P.S. You did a great job on the post Doug. I love you!

Comments

  1. Oh thank you for this fun post. I think it is so awesome that you all got in the play. What memories your family will cherish through the years. We will want to attend this one on the nights you are in it.
    You all continue to amaze me and I feel so blessed to know and love you all.
    Blessings and hugs for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Concert

The Power of Love

Our Adoption Journey In a Very Small Nut Shell