In the Company of Greatness

On Sunday we had the opportunity to have Tyler and all his roommates and two girlfriends come for dinner. We had been told they were awesome but I had no idea! We knew 2 of the roommates, Paul and Abe, and absolutely love them. April, Abe's girlfriend is so sweet and kind.  Now we totally love the other three, Ben, Grant and Hugh. Ressa and her new friend Mike joined us with Ressa's roommate Tristin.  Mike has a good spirit about him and did great considering it was his first time meeting the family. Tristin is a God send.  She has been just what Ressa needed. And I can't leave out Jessica, Tyler's girlfriend.  This girl is amazing in so many ways but I love how smiley and happy she is. When Sereen heard about the gathering she wanted to come too.  In her words "What's two more?"  In all there were 28 people for dinner.  We had a great time getting to know each other. 

We had dinner with home made rolls baked in my new oven.  I'm still trying to figure it out so the rolls were a little dark but still very good. After dinner we cleaned up the 3 banquet tables and vacuumed the rice that was stuck in the carpet.  Come to find out every one of our guests are gifted musicians. We gathered in the living room around the piano and they took their turns playing and singing.  We were in heaven.  It is always amazing to be in the company of very talented people. How is it that we can have 9 guests and ALL of them are so gifted?

I stood looking around and I was overtaken by the power within my home.  I'm not sure how to say this. I felt like I was in the presence of greatness.  I was surrounded by some of our Father's most valiant children.  His greatest warriors and most dedicated servants. Their spirit was so clear and strong, emanating goodness and strength. How blessed we were to have them in our home and become acquainted with these awesome friends.

In the moments since then that I have struggled feeling like a good enough mother, I go back to this time and remind myself that these are my children's friends. If the adage is true that we surround ourselves with those we are like then I must be doing something good.

Partial view from one end of the table.  It really is a very long table and room. When we bought the house we could not understand why the living room was so long and skinny.  We been able to put it to good use though.
View from the other end.

April with Emma.  Everyone was so good with the kids.  I kept trying to tell the children to calm down but realized the fun was being initiated by the young adults. :))

Paul, who is holding Hyrum, went to Nauvoo with Tyler the first time.  They became good friends there and by the grace of God they became roommates this year.
Tyler, Hannah, and Mike, (Ressa's friend ;) joined in a large game everyone had learned at EFY.


Grant writes and sings beautifully.  Tristin sitting on the other side of the couch was studying violin
 at the UofU when she transfered to BYU.


Jessica surprised me by playing hymns as we talked.  She is awesome.  We are lucky enough to have her as Tyler's girlfriend.
After Ben played and sang Hyrum was insistent that it was his turn.  He jumped up to the piano and started singing.  He was too cute. No doubt he came to the right family.
And to save the best for last.  Our little Preston.  He is getting so cute and smiles a lot.  He is very precious.

On another note. Don't put squeaky shoes on little ones when you are going to the library.


Comments

  1. That was such a fun night!! Thanks do much for letting us be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. new friend...I don't know about you, but I don't really hold hands with just friends :) I know it's traumatizing and something I said would never happen, but it's ok to say it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ressa's comment makes me laugh!! I can't wait to meet both Tyler's and Ressa's "friends". Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed when I read your squeaky shoes comment in the library, because I also took Quinn to our little local library with her squeaky shoes on, and they loved it! Said at least I could find her with those on- haha! What a beautiful family you have Deanne- I know they are your pride and joy~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to clear up Ressa's comment. She and Mike were not official at the time I wrote the post. So now I can say it. Ressa has a boyfriend. WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Concert

The Power of Love

Olivia is a Citizen of the United States!